June 7, 2011

Painting Brass Vintage Deer with Chalk Paint & Share the Love Link Party #16!




I used Chalk Paint to transform this pretty thrifted deer from it's original brass finish. I bought this piece from a thrift store on one of my golden retriever rescue trips. I've seen a bit of an antler trend in interior design over the last year and thought this would be a fun way to bring this element into my home.

In the past, it would have been an item to use spray paint on, but since I was testing out the chalk paint on my vintage suitcases, I figured I would give it a try on something metal.


I did absolutely no preparatory steps on this before painting. It was pretty clean and I simply brushed on the paint with a bristle brush. The paint went on really nicely. Many times when painting small decorative pieces I find I use too heavy of a hand with the spray paint and get drips here and there. The chalk paint went on very smooth and did not build up in the details at all. It definitely did require two coats of the paint though. I have yet to use this paint and be pleased with one coat coverage. I tried this paint on vintage suitcases and also needed two coats. Check out that post for more information on using this paint.


The finish is a very flat. It's almost like looking at a piece of chalk--that's the final look you'll get. I decided not to add any wax or poly finish to this; I like the smooth matte look. For painting brass, I'd have to give the Annie Sloane Chalk Paint two thumbs up! I'll let you know how the plain chalk finish stands up to time.


Just for grins, here's a picture of another brass piece I painted previously with spray paint next to the deer with the chalk paint. Click here for the full post on this tri-level piece.  I like both finishes, but sometimes I get tired of waiting for the perfect spray painting weather (most definitely too hot and humid for that today!) and the resulting fumes and smell. You can see how the spray paint piece is much smoother--no brush marks.

Before we get started on this week's link up, I'd love to spotlight a few links from the last party.

The first shout-out goes to the first link up! I love vintage furniture, and this makeover by Mr & Mrs. Frugal Face is truly beautiful! I love the way she restored the hardware and the gorgeous color and glaze!



This beautiful kitchen below from Tenth Avenue South caught my eye as well. The whole effect is subdued, elegant and pristine. I love the counter tops and that faucet {definitely visit her blog and check out the closeup of it's detail}.... talk about fabulous design! The only items on the counters are functional or truly beautiful. I love the tray of Pellegrino and flowers--what a nice touch! There's even a recipe as framed art in a great looking wall display! I love beautiful, well-designed details... and this kitchen is full of them!


 Liz over at Brambleberry Cottage brought her beautiful photography to the party {really the post looks like a professional stylist!}. This sweet drink is served in fabulous style and wait until you see the other photos of this post featuring her cherry picking adventures. Bright red cherries in vintage this and that... it's delicious!


One more pretty post to spotlight... who could resist this beautiful pergola! A Few Pennies has the perfect spot to sit with a cool drink or a good book. She has the furniture and potted plants placed just so... this really is a beautiful outdoor space. The construction of this pretty garden element doesn't look too difficult to copy either! Click on over and visit her to get the full effect.


Let's get this week's party started! I'm looking forward to seeing what you all have been up to. Thanks to all of you who linked up last time. I can't wait to see what fabulous projects and ideas this week will bring.

Two easy requests...

  • Please link just one specific post you want to feature, not your whole blog (to do this, click on the title of the post you want to link and it will open on it's own page, then copy that url
  • Please link back to my blog with either the party button or a text link. 

Linking this post to...
Tater Tots & Jello
My Romantic Home
Wicked Awesome Wednesday
Transformation Thursday at Shabby Chic Cottage
Twice Owned Tuesday
Blue Cricket Design
Nifty Thirfty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm
Faded Charm White Wednesday






    Welcome to the party... I'm so glad you came!










    sig trans Pin It!
    Related Posts with Thumbnails