December 15, 2010

Merry Little Elf Village {part 2)

Here's the rest of the pictures of my little village of houses and pine cone elves. If you missed part one you can find it here.

It's a mix and jumble of reproduction and vintage bottle brush trees... both of these are vintage


A set of 7 pine cone elves... several of which are holding little Christmas trees while on skis.


The house on the left below is interesting.. it's framed by a large tree, the top is cut off, which is part of the original design.


The two white houses below are just a few years old but I couldn't resist them because of the glitter. The roofs come off and they hold tea lights inside.


The vintage bottle brush wreaths were added to each for a little charm.



The next two houses are my favorites... There is a little angel with a deer in front of a mirror and tiny bottle brush trees...


and it's companion, a pink mirrored house with a little steeple and Christmas candle inside.




Here's a view of the whole village. A dancing Santa balancing on a glitter-dusted chimney presides over all!

Update: I have gotten some inquiries about my house collection so I wanted to add this information. The houses are typically referred to as Putz houses or Glitter Houses and they date back to the 1920s and newer. I've found them at antique shops, eBay, and my favorite because they are less expensive, at estate sales or flea markets. I love to display them on tiered stands and I have used tiny sparkling lights amidst them in the past. I actually have another box of these cute houses I did not even display this year (yikes).

Vintage seems to be in these days, so there are reproductions out there now too. I have no problem mixing new and old but I when I find a beautiful old one it is truly a treasure. Good luck with your hunt! If you want more information on the history, this site has a great explanation.

Mary

 I've linked this post to the following parties... check them out for more great ideas!





The DIY Show Off
Pin It!
Related Posts with Thumbnails