February 5, 2011

The Girl Goes White... {Part One}

When I found out I was not getting a foster puppy last weekend, I decided to jump in on my quest to transform many of the colored walls and dark furniture to creamy white--my color of the year. The first room I wanted to tackle was my office. It was an easy room to begin in because some of the furniture was already white--my hutch and an old bookcase I had picked up from the thrift store a few years ago.

I decided to begin with my desk, which is actually an old farm table and is very, very dark pine on top and it's legs are black. Here it is, all set up on paint cans for the transformation.

I prepped the surface with a light sanding in the direction of the wood grain. Then I wiped on some TSP, which is a chemical degreaser and deglosser.


There were some holds in the top of the desk from the knotty pine--I chose to fill them with wood filler.


There is also a space between two of the boards on the desk and I decided to leave that as is. It is a rustic type table and there are still some scratches and other texture in the wood and the crack fit right in with that rustic style. Primer, 2 coats of ivory paint and one coat of tobacco glaze later....


Here's a closeup of the painted table with the tobacco glaze added. It definitely adds a vintage look.


Funny thing is, when I was under the table painting the back sides of the legs, I noticed that the bottom of the table was already vintage white. Real vintage white. Which means that somebody else had painted this table with a dark brown top and black legs. That I am now painting back. Funny, isn't it?

 Meanwhile, someone is getting bored and decides to check out the smelly glaze, reminding me it's time for her walk.


Here's the finished table. I love the look--so much brighter. The next step is to touch up the walls with a fresh coat of  {creamy white} paint!


LINKING UP TO THE PINK POSTCARD  






sig trans Pin It!
Related Posts with Thumbnails