November 7, 2010

Thanksgiving Mantel Idea {Peaceful, Warm and Calm}

The season of thanks is upon us, and I don't have too many decorations specific to this holiday. They are hard to find and the selection is so much smaller than it's holiday neighbors, Halloween and Christmas. I do have a few though, and I mix them with my fall goodies {like the simple berry wreath I purchased at Michael's a few years ago} to make due. My first project was to convert the fireplace mantel to a Thanksgiving theme.. 


My mantel decorations were so overtly Halloween in October--major bursts of orange and black--I was ready for something more peaceful and calming. For that is really what Thanksgiving does, for me at least. It is the calm and quiet holiday before the rush of Christmas, and time to reflect on all that I am thankful for and how blessed my life is.


I began with a kind of outrageous turkey I found at a thrift shop in Iowa last year. It's big! It reminds me of those vintage ceramic Christmas trees with the little lights {and I like those, too}.


On the base, the date 1994 is inscribed, along with the name "Peg." Either Peg got tired of him, or her family did. He has a found a new home with me and has proudly taken center court on my mantel. Peg did a really nice job of painting him!

I wanted to use some candles on my Thanksgiving mantel, because I really enjoy adding some light and scent to the dark fall evenings. I used my two glass hurricanes {used here at Halloween}and then filled in with a ceramic pumpkin from Home Goods that reads "Harvest Blessings" along with another Home Goods string of fall wooden leaves.


I like my displays full, so I filled in with some glittered pine cones... 



and two fall foilage sprays {one with glitter!} from Michael's.


That should do it... on to finishing up my version of  the Free Thanksgiving printable pennant/banner {stay tuned...}

Linking up to the blogs on my sidebar and...




mmm button Pin It!
Related Posts with Thumbnails