May 1, 2013

Simple Summer Mantel with Vintage Finds

My summer interior style comes from a few basic ideas: living simply indoors so that I can enjoy the outdoors more, using what I already have on hand and incorporating greenery.


A vintage window frame is such a versatile decor piece for creating vignettes on the mantel or even a hall table. I've added a couple plastic greenery wreaths (that look pretty amazing considering they are plastic!), some mismatched candlesticks sporting matched candles, and the star of the space, a vintage  turquoise McCoy vase.

My home was affected by the recent flooding and I am in the process of clearing out the clutter and keeping my collection of props and vintage finds to a more manageable size.  A sump pump that failed at the time it was most needed was the culprit. I'm trying to look at the good side of the event. It has forced me to go the boxes and bins accumulated over the 20 plus years I've been in this home. I'm going to keep only what I love and use, and get rid of the excess. I don't know about you, but I have a lot of "excess" in my basement. It's always easier to move a box than to go through it in the short run. Long term though, I don't really want to spend the rest of my life moving around "stuff." I'd rather pare down and enjoy those things that are special and leave more time for enjoying the people, places and experiences I love.

All the vintage finds on this mantel will definitely stay. Tried and true, they are all pretty versatile pieces that are easy to change up with the seasons. What are your mantel "besties?" Do share.
sig trans Pin It!
Related Posts with Thumbnails