November 29, 2011

Vintage Christmas Mantel Decorations

Bit by bit my Christmas decorating is getting done! For every season the first spot I like to begin with is the mantel. My inspiration for this year's mantel was a vintage greeting card box illustration of a crystal dish filled with holiday ornaments. It's a beautiful image, I'll share it with you in a later post.


I started with these thrift store vases, which I originally bought to hold tools (I even like to have my tool bench look pretty). I liked the fact that they are square--the flat sides would really show off the ornaments all pushed together against the glass. They were 88 cents each (gotta love that). The ivory bases I picked up from Target last year. I think it's so unexpected to top the candle bases with a vase of ornaments; it's definitely one of my favorite looks.


I still wanted some candles on the mantel. I chose to mix metals and crystal. The silver bases are were my mothers, the crystal pair were wedding gifts and the tallest set is from Goodwill.


I pulled out the chippy window again to give the display some height. This has been a really versatile piece to use no matter the season.


I topped it off with a silver/gold metallic spray I've had for years... love to add a little sparkle here and there!


It needed another little something to balance it off; this thrift shop sugar bowl fits the bill.



I could stare at these baubles all day long. I actually can enjoy these ornaments more in the vases than on the tree--the glass really shows them off.
 

Do you do something different with your decorations each year or keep things the same? I like to mix it up a bit. I really enjoy the process so it's a challenge to see if I can do a new look with the same decorations.


Check out these link's from last week! Thanks to those of you who linked up last week--such a variety of posts to choose from. I am featuring three partiers from last week.




First up are these beautiful chevron canvases from Because I Like to Decorate. They were leftover from another use and Mary made these beautiful panels. What I love is that they can be moved around--nothing permanent, and of course they're gorgeous!


Check out the post from A Wee Meenit on this adorable pillow. Can you believe it is made from a Goodwill hooded sweater?

If you've been featured, grab a button!

Button









Bring it on for this week!  Link up the best of your blog and be sure to link back to the party with a button or text link. If your post has been removed because there wasn't a link back, add the button below or a text link and link up again. Most importantly... mingle... click around the other links and get to know this fabulous group of partiers!



Button

sig trans












linking to:

 <br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>Photobucket


Pin It!
Related Posts with Thumbnails