October 10, 2010

Cute & Spooky Vintage Halloween Mantel Decorations

Fall & winter are my favorite times of the year to celebrate holiday style. I decorated the mantle for September with apples and fall leaves. And now that October is here, it’s time to bring out the orange and black in a big way for Halloween.

I was on a roll for quite a few years with collecting these plastic retro jack-o-lanterns. They light up with the help of a little  bulb in the bottom or back. Here’s a sampling of my collection.


This year I decided to put them all together on the mantle.

After placing all the jacks, I realized it needed a little black. Just like every room, I think. I added this black leaf garland  from Michael’s and...  it has glitter on it {love glitter}.

That's another little thing I like to add to each display... something shiny with a bit of sparkle..


And then it still wasn’t right so I ran to Michael’s {again} and picked up a few packages of those retro-look plastic Halloween treat cups and sprinkled them at all angles to fill in the empty spaces.



The extras I piled in a hurricane candle holder... (yes, that is a painted Longaberger candle base!)



A nice change from a candle, and I  like seeing all the little faces at all angles.




I think it's got just enough of everything!  The pedestals help, don’t you think? Different heights and the fact that they contrast so deeply in color really make a nice visual.




Sources:
Garland, Small Pumpkin Treat Holders, Glitter Cat (2009) & Crow: Michael's
All other Jack-O-Lanterns are vintage from flea markets & thrift stores
Pedestals are from Thrift Stores, painted black
Hurricane Candle and Base: vintage Longaberger

 
Pin It!
Related Posts with Thumbnails